Serves 4 – Preparation time less than 10 minutes
- 1 large cauliflower, divided into nearly equal sized florets
- 200g (100g if 1 dish) grated cheese (*see Choice of cheese)
- 50ml (30ml if 1 dish) white wine
- 200ml (100ml if 1 dish) double cream
- 1 tbls (2 tsp if 1 dish) corn flower (to thicken the sauce)
- Butter, for greasing
- Salt, freshly ground pepper and a touch of nutmeg (optional)
- Bring a saucepan with water and 1 tsp salt to boil
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 6.
- Separate the florets from the stem, cut the larger pieces in halve.
- Cook the florets in the boiling salted water for 4 minutes. (Do not overcook them.)
- Make the cheese sauce by:
- Heating the cream and cheese, until all the cheese is melted
- Then add the cornflower to the white wine and stir it into the sauce simmer for 1-2 minutes (add extra cornflower if the sauce hasn’t thicken).
- Flavour the sauce with pepper, salt and a little ground nutmeg.
- Drain the cauliflower florets and place the florets in ovenproof greased individual dishes or one big dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over each dish.
- Place in the oven and bake for 7-9 minutes
- If the dishes hasn’t turned golden brown don’t worry, add a slice of cheese on top; and place them under a hot grill for 1 min (until they turn golden brown and are bubbling)
- Serve as side dish
* Choice of Cheese:
A touch of blue cheese helps enriching the flavour and can be add to any below.
- If you want to use only Cheddar use an extra strong cheese
- You could also use ½ Cheddar and ½ Emmentaler
- Or just use only Gruyere for an extra rich flavour