- 600-700g rolled boneless lamb breast
- 2-4 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 tsp each of: salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion salt, mixed herbs, marjoram, basil & hot paprika
- 2-3 leeks cleaned and cut into 2.5cm rings
- 8 smallish red onions
- 3-4 carrots peeled and cut into 1cm rings
- 1 large or 2 small heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 100ml chicken stock
- Pre heat the oven to 180º-200º
- Mix all the herbs in a little bowl
- Gently, without cutting the butcher’s string,
push 1 slice garlic and ½ tsp of the herb mix into the “pockets between the strings” of the rolled lamb (approx. 6-8 times)
- Push the remainder of the garlic into either end
- Spread the remaining herb mix over the breast roll and “massage it in”. Use the ends of the role to pick up any spilled herbs.
- Evenly spread the leeks in your Cast Iron Casserole (you could use a glass casserole dish)
- Place the lamb breast on top of the leeks
- Put the onions tightly around the lamb
- Add the stock
- Place the casserole in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes
If you are using a glass casserole, you need to place a piece of foil shiny side down between the lid and the dish and increase the cooking time by 15 minutes.
- Use the accumulated juices from the casserole as gravy.
- Cook the carrots and broccoli separately.
Serve with Rice, Potatoes or Pasta.