I can’t remember where I found this recipe; but I can promise you it absolutely fabulous. I have made some changes to suit me and as you can see it doesn’t take long to prepare and cook. If served with vegetables it’s a meal and a half. The cakes are great for ovo-vegetarians and they are total gluten free.
|Prep time max 5 minutes||resting time 15 minutes|
|cooking time 3-4 minutes per side|
- 150-200g leftover cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 bunch spring onions; chopped finely
- 1 large cooked beetroot; chopped finely
- Dried herbs: onion salt, garlic salt, pepper
- Fresh herbs: parsley, basil, thyme (all finely chopped)
- Instead of spring onions and beetroot, try: peeled and finely chopped green and red peppers.
- Mix everything together; ensuring the egg is thoroughly mixed in.
- Place the mixture on a sheet of cling film and roll to a sausage approx. 5-8cm diameter. Place in freezer for 10-15 minutes to make it easy to cut and use; do not freeze to a solid sausage. Remove from freezer and keep in fridge until required or cook straight away.
- When ready; cut the “sausage” into 1finger wide slices through the cling film.
- Gently remove the cling film. Heat a little butter and oil in a frying pan and fry the slices, on medium to high heat, for 3-4 minutes on each side.
The rice cakes are delicious cold, warm and/or as a side dish to Indian and Chinese cooking.