Serves: 4-6 Prep Time: 10-20 minutes Oven Time: 45 minutes
I didn’t have all the ingrediencies required for a ratatouille but I think my take of this dish suites most home cooks. Its not difficult and it gets rid of the small need to be used vegetables in your fridge.
- 1 portion lardoons
- 1 Red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Shallot onion, coarsely chopped
- ¼ Celeriac, coarsely chopped
- 2 leeks, cleaned and chopped into 1cm pieces
- 1 sweet red pepper, quartered long ways and cut into 1cm pieces
- 4-5 thin slices Ginger
- 2 Courgettes quartered long ways and cut into 1cm pieces
- 4 Carrots, quartered long ways and cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3-4 garlic, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp Olive oil, for blanching
- 1 glass white wine
- 1 tin chopped Tomatoes
- Salt, Pepper and Mixed Herbs to taste.
- Optional – a little Saffron and or Sweet Paprika.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Chop/prep all ingrediencies and keep in separate bowls.
- Add the oil to the big oven dish, and blanch the lardons, before they crisp up add the onions, chopped garlic, red pepper and ginger.
- After 3-5 minutes stir in the carrots, celeriac and leeks. Fry, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Then pour in the wine and chopped tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the sprays of thyme and maybe add some mixed herbs.
- Top the lot with the courgettes, gently turn the courgettes under the contents of the oven dish. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Check the taste, and add extra if needed. This is also where you add the saffron and paprika. Gently turn everything in the dish making sure its all covered in liquid and return to oven without the lid, for another 15 minutes.
Serve and Enjoy!