|Prep time 2 minutes||Cooking time 15-20 minutes|
I had purchased a side of fresh salmon (for myself) and just didn’t want to freeze half of it. So, I cut the side into 3 pieces and griddled them. I ate 1 slice, froze another slice and made a pie with the last piece. This is the result.
- 200g cooked/fried fresh salmon
- 1 handful frozen prawns (optional)
- 1 small broccoli (cut into florets, stem- peeled and cut into smallish pieces)
- ¾l milk and fish stock (dissolve a fish-stock cube in ½l hot water & use half)
- 20g butter (10g each for the filling and the broccoli mash)
- 2 tbsp Cornflour (to make the roux gluten free)
- Salt & Pepper and herbs (onion, garlic salt and green herbs) to taste.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
- Place the broccoli in a steamer and microwave for 4 minutes.
- Remove the skin from the salmon, flake it, making sure to remove all fishbones. Spread this into 1 big oven dish or 2 smaller portion oven dishes.
- Spread the frozen prawns evenly over the salmon.
- Make a roux with butter and corn flower, and gradually add the milk & water mixture.
- When the sauce is smooth add salt, pepper, garlic or onion granules and the dried parsley and pour this evenly over the fish.
- Place the cooked broccoli in a food processor (using a blade) and add the butter (flake it), salt, pepper and other herbs if wanted. Pulse it until it has a slightly grained consistency. I also use a little of the leftover fish stock to make it easier to pulse. Spread evenly over the dish(s) making the pie lid.
- Place in the hot oven for approx. 15 minutes, until the lop looks crusty.
- Finish off by placing the dish under the grill for 2 min to get a lovely crunchy brown top.