|Serves: 2-3||Prep: 10 minutes||Cook: 2 ½ – 3 hours||Ready in: 3+ hours|
3 tbsp olive oil
500g diced venison
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped finely
1 can cream of mushroom soup
.. or 500ml homemade mushroom soup*
½ the can of water (keep for later)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1-2 bay leaves
½ tsp mixed herbs
1-2 sprays of fresh thyme or 1tsp dried thyme
A pinch of nutmeg
* See ”My Gluten and Milk Free Mushroom Soup”
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the venison in the hot oil until browned on all sides, about 5-8 minutes.
- Once browned, remove from the frying pan with a slotted spoon and put aside, leaving the remaining oil in the frying pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the onions and garlic; and fry until translucent.
- Pour the contents into a Dutch oven or ovenproof dish, add the meat and the remaining herbs.
- Add the can of mushroom soup to the Dutch oven, rinse the can with water and then.
- Clean the frying pan with the water; and add to the Dutch oven.
- Cover, and cook in oven for 2½-3 hours, or until the venison is tender;
check now and again making sure that the liquid hasn’t totally evaporated.
Thicken the Stroganoff with rice flour, if needed.
Serves: Inside a plain rice ring (the common way to serve Stroganoff)
. . . . . . .or with pasta: Pappardelle, Bucatini, Angel Hair, Orzo, Spaghetti or Penne
Decorate with parley.
Can be frozen – keep for max 3 month, in the fridge for 2-3 days.