- 4-6 cooked beetroots, roughly grated
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ clove of Garlic – crushed (optional)
- French salad dressing:
- 3 tbsp Oil (sunflower/olive/ whatever you like)
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- ½ tsp continental mustard
- salt & pepper
- if too strong add a little water.
- Mix the dressing, add the onions and leave in soak for a little while.
- Finally mix in the grated beetroot.
- Place in fridge until serving.
- 1 Lemon, squeezed
- The same amount as the juice of boiling water
- 1-2 tsp runny honey
- Raisins * – as many as can be covered by the liquid
- Chopped Nuts *
- 5-6 medium sized grated carrots
- * Can be omitted!
- Mix the boiling water and honey until all the honey has dissolved
- Add the lemon juice and the raisins.
- Leave to infuse for ½ hour.
- Then add and mix in the grated carrots.
- Cover with a plate, small enough the cover the carrots and must fit inside the bowl
- Put a heavy item (a jar, a litter bottle of water …) on top of the plate to press the salad.
- Leave under press for ½ -1 hour at room temperature.
- Remove the heavy item and place the salad-bowl in fridge.
- This can keep for 2-3 days.
Preparation time 10 minutes
I wanted to make a different salad and had seen other people using oranges in salads with avocado. I didn’t have an avocado, so here is my version of a salad using oranges.
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes, cut in thinnish ring slices
- 1 Onion, cut in thin slices
- 2-3 mandarins, cut in thinnish ring slices
- 1 tbls olive oil
- ½ tbls rice vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Parsley and/or Chives, chopped
- Cut the tomatoes and mandarins as thin as possible into rings.
- Use a mandolin to very finely slice the onion.
- Place the tomato, onion and mandarin slices on a plate alternating them.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on all the salad.
- Then drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the ring.
- Cover with cling film and keep at room temperature until served.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and/or fresh chives.
Preparation time about 5 minutes
Serves 2 people
Serves 2 people
- 1 Large Courgette, peeled and finely julienned
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp natural Yogurt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin Olive oil
- ½ tbsp sweet vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground Pepper
- Some chopped Parsley
- Peel the courgette and cut finely Julienne style on a mandolin.
- Then mix the dressing using all ingredients (bar the courgette).
- Add the julienned courgette.
- Gently toss the salad making sure all courgette is covered.
- Let it rest for at least 2 hours at room temperature before serving.